Updated April 2, 2020
CONCRETE OVERLAY WEBINARS
The CP Tech Center, in collaboration with the ACPA Pennsylvania Chapter, is offering a five-part series on Concrete Overlays. This program is a great way to stay current on PDH’s as well as increase your knowledge base about concrete pavement. These weekly one-hour sessions start Tuesday, April 7 at 1pm (EDT).
- Introduction to Concrete Overlays
- Evaluating Existing Pavements and Selecting the Right Overlay Type
- Concrete Overlay Design Considerations
- Plans, MPT and Construction
- Maintenance & Repair of Overlays
You may register for any one or more or all of the five webinars. To register for the first session (it is a two-step process) please click HERE You will be sent a confirmation email (it may go to your spam, please check).
NHI WEB-BASED TRAINING
For a limited time, the National Highway Institute (NHI) is offering a free, five-part distance learning program, “Constructing Quality PCC Pavement Preservation Treatments.” The comprehensive program was developed under the auspices of the NHI through a cooperative agreement between the FHWA and the CP Tech Center. Click HERE to view the course selection and register.
ACPA/National and IGGA were instrumental in providing content for the courses, and we invested significant time and resources, providing information, images, and other support for the project. The online courses include the following topics:
- How to Construct Durable Full-Depth Repairs in Concrete Pavements (FHWA-NHI-134207A)
- How to Construct Durable Partial-Depth Repairs in Concrete Pavements (FHWA-NHI-134207B)
- Proper Diamond Grinding Techniques for Pavement Preservation (FHWA-NHI-134207C)
- Proper Construction Techniques for Dowel Bar Retrofit (DBR) and Cross-Stitching (FHWA-NHI-134207D)
- Proper Joint Sealing Techniques for Pavement Preservation (FHWA-NHI-134207E)
The program provides a total of 13.5 hours of online learning of pavement preservation methods and technologies. Courses are also available in English and Spanish.
FHWA CONCRETE CLIPS
The FHWA is offering 16 instructional videos in its “Concrete Clips” series. These videos cover a wide range of topics, including cement manufacturing, durability, workability, curing, testing, smoothness, materials tutorials, and more. The vides range in length between about 4 to 14 minutes. Check these out at the Concrete Clip Channel.
JUST-IN-TIME TRAINING (JIT2)
Both the Department and the Turnpike are including in major concrete paving projects a requirement that a four to six hour JIT2 session be conducted prior to placement of the first square yard of concrete pavement. If you would like for ACPA/PA to provide this training for your contract, please contact the Chapter at Penn@ACPA.org for a price quote.
Reference documents used in our JIT2 sessions include the following:
- Concrete Pavement Field Reference-Pre Paving Manual
- Concrete Pavement Field Reference-Paving Manual
- Concrete Pavement Field Reference-Preservation & Repair Manual
- IMCP Manual (new version)
- IMCP Manual (old version)
We of course perform JIT2 services for other projects as well. If you are an owner agency or a member of the Chapter, please let us know if we can be of assistance to you.
WARRANTY SEMINAR (2014)
The Chapter hosted a one-day training session on pavement warranties. Click HERE to view the recorded presentations from this event.
LONG-LIFE CONCRETE PAVEMENT WEBINAR (2011)
The Chapter hosted a three-hour webinar in advance of the first Long Life Concrete Pavement project advertised for bid in Pennsylvania. Presentations included an overview of long-life concrete pavement, practices from other states, and one contractor’s experience with LLCP. Come back soon to watch parts or all of this session.